Monday, July 8, 2013

Nail Catastrophe: How to mend a broken nail

I haven't posted any nail designs for several weeks now, and unfortunately I have a good reason why. I snapped my thumb nail off, in an unfortunate accident. I've never broken a nail this badly before, there was blood and everything. It was bad. But I'm going to walk you through what I did to try to save it.

I was at work pulling a package apart when this happened. I kept a bandaid on it all day, and it was pretty painful.


To try and save it, I tried the teabag method. First I cut a piece of cloth from a tea bag (Tetly tea) to the shape of my nail. Then I put a layer of KISS nail glue down over the entire nail. The piece of cloth, and then another layer of glue. After the glue dries, buff it smooth.

This is before I put on the second layer of glue.

This is the mani I wore for the 4th of July.


It held very nicely for 3 days. On the 4th day, I was packing for my trip and my nail got caught on something and totally broke off. I had a mini heart attack, and frantically called around looking for a nail appointment. Normally I would give up and cut all my nails, but this was so deep into my nail bed it was really painful, and the skin was super sensitive.

This is how much of my nail broke off.

And surprisingly, the nail glue didn't damage my nail at all. The only damage was from the nail ripping off, which I was pretty happy about. I managed to get an appointment and had an acrylic tip put on. I'm not incredibly happy with the way it was shaped, and how short it is, but I didn't have very many options on who to go to, because it was such a last minute appointment.

This is what it currently looks like. I asked for no polish because I'm going to do my nails before I leave for vacation.


No comments: