Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Supakitch inspired Munny!

I got 4 blank Munnys in November. I intended to paint them for gifts for my siblings & cousins, but I never got around to it. I had designed a Supakitch inspired Munny, and I finally got around to working on it.

Now, I've never done this before, so it's been all trial and error. I looked up some different techniques on the internets, and just decided to go with acrylic paint. Mainly because I already know how to use it, and also because I had some in my basement :)

This is my drawing I started with. It's inspired by the fox in this video:


which if you regularly read my blog, will know I'm obsessed with this video. This is a collaboration by two street artists Supakitch and Koralie. You can check out their store Metroplastique.
Anyway, on to the process.... I haven't looked at the original illustration or video in a couple of months, so I was going purely off memory when I started painting. I like to work this way because it melds into something similar, but not an exact copy of the original.

 First I sketched out in pencil an underdrawing.

 Then I tried to 'watercolor' the head. I tried watercolors, but they just rolled off. So I went and got my acrylics, and it worked so much better. I wanted a spatter texture on the head, so I added a bit of water to the acrylics and dabbed it on with a dome brush.

 I started off with purple and just experimented with the water to paint ratio till I got a result I liked.


 Then I added some yellow ochre and bright blue splatters till I was happy with it.


 Then I moved on to the body. The paint was applying in a really weird way, and I got a pretty cool texture out of it. I kinda like it.
This is as far as I got today. It took me about 3 hours. Stay tuned for more updates :)

No comments: