Saturday, August 27, 2011

Back from Greece!

So I got back from Greece the second week of August. I was gone for a month, and it was AMAZING! I was in Athens for several days, then I headed out to the island of Chios with the Orpheus Greek Dance Group for a week. We performed several times and had some workshops with instructors from Chios. Then it was back to Athens for a day and then off to Thassos, another island. I stayed there for two weeks near the Alexandria Hotel.

Deree College in Athens, the Orpheus Greek Dance Group performed here on Saturday, July 23, 2011
The ship we took to Chios. It was a 6 hour ride.
They had 3 decks to sit on it was pretty cool.
Athens from afar.
This is the boat we took to Turkey. The Orpheus group took a day trip to see Ephesus.
Ephesus was an ancient Greek city, later taken over and modified by the Romans. Everything is made out of white marble from Greece.

TOURIST...yesss in my super nerdy hat :)
There were cats all over, chillin in the shade.
Library of Calsus

This is a view of Chios, while we were driving to Agia Markella, on the other side of the island, we drove up and over some mountains to get there. It was pretty crazy, as you can see below.

It was a super beautiful walk. We went right when the sun was setting.

A small village we performed in.
This is the city Pyrgi, a town known for the designs on all of the architecture of the town.
We went on a mestiha tour. Mestiha is a resin gathered from the mastic tree, a small evergreen tree native to the Mediterranean region. (via wikipedia) It was pretty cool because they fed us tomatoes, cucumber, olives, feta, wine, and bread. It was great.

The town of Mesta. This was my favorite town in Chios.
The view from my hotel room.
The Metro in Greece is soooooooo clean!
The view from the apartment I was staying in when I went to Thassos.
The beach had these long plastic docks because you couldn't walk out into the water straight from the beach because instead of sand, its rocks. And there are also sea urchins...stepping on one is no fun.
The apartment I stayed in was next to the Alexandra hotel. It was pretty sweet because we could use their pool and computers and everything. Its a really nice hotel.
Pretty much where I spent my days.
One day we took a boat trip. You spend the whole day on the boat and they stop at different places where you can get out and swim. It was sooooo cool. That was my favorite day in Thassos.
There were some really cool caves.
The boat we chilled on.

In Athens, downtown there is a frozen yogurt place  called froyo. It is freaking amazing. The yogurt is greek yogurt, so it didn't taste like ice cream. It was pretty much the most amazing thing ever. I got mine with nutella.

The Athens Art Museum.






The last day there we sent to the Acropolis Museum. They were open till 12AM because of the full moon. It was packed out.

The moon was super bright.

My illegal picture of inside the museum.

Finally in Montreal. We took Air Canada home and our flight was "delayed" 20 hours. It was pretty crazy. Luckily I didn't have work that day.

No comments: