Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Hatter M Graphic Novel

So as I was in the library I saw this graphic novel, that was so obviously based on Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland, and since I'm a huge fan of it, I started to read this graphic novel. The book takes the concept of Alice and flips it on it's head. The character of the Mad Hatter in this book is 'Hatter M' the White Queen's bodyguard and protector of 'white imagination' (as opposed to black imagination, which the Red Queen wants). Alyss is the White Queen's daughter and when the Red Queen's evil army attacks the White Palace, the White Queen is killed and Hatter M is forced to escape to reality with Alyss. The novel begins when Hatter M realizes he lost Alyss on the way over to 'reality' and is now in search of her.

I only got half way through the first volume before I got bored of the writing. The artwork is nice, but not some of my favorite. Its very obviously created in Adobe Photoshop. I just think this graphic novel is not up to par, there have been so many takes on 'Alice in Wonderland' and there have been much better ones than this 'Hatter M' series.

If anyone wants to read a really fantastic 'Alice in Wonderland' based graphic novel, read Wonderland 
its written by Tommy Kovac and illustrated by Sonny Liew.  The way its illustrated is absolutely brilliant. I love the way they exaggerate the characters.  It's a clever take based on a character that we actually never see in either the novel or  in any of the the movies. In the book (and movie) the White Rabbit mistakes Alice for his maid Mary-Anne. This graphic novel's main character is Mary-Anne, and it starts up right after Alice left wonderland. I absolutely love this story!

No comments: