Friday, January 22, 2010

Mermaid Animation

Animation set up:
This is where I spend many of my days...slowly animating paper puppets. One of these days I'll do a post on how to make these silhouette puppets.

So, the GL2 camera is on a camera stand facing downwards. I used layers of vellum to create the shadowy background on the first layer. Then there are 2 panes of glass for each of the mermaids, and another layer for the water ripples above them. Then the whole thing is back lit with a mini light table.

Then to animate I use the program called iStopmotion, from Boinx Software. You can get it HERE for only $50, which is super cheap for a program. It works with all video cameras, but for still cameras you have to check their list of approved cameras (and to animate smoothly with a still camera you have to have a remote, because if you don't every time you take a picture it moves the camera and you animation comes out all jittery, which you don't want). I set the frame rate to 24 frames per second (because it is the typical animation frame rate, however you can set the frame rate to what ever you want).



Here is the unedited footage I shot that day


If you have any questions or want to see more of my animations leave a comment below and I'll get back to you!

No comments: