Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Feta Cheese Fondue Recipe!

So tonight we're doing Fondue! And I am the fondue queen. My aunt got me the book ,fondue' by Robert Carmack for Christmas last year and it has all kinds of fondue recipes, but the chocolate sections is kinda pathetic. It has an abundance of cheese and meat fondue recipes though.  Tonight I made the ,Feta Cheese Melt' which is amazing. I've made it so many times I know the recipe by heart! The recipe for this is:

4 tablespoons (2 oz/60 g) butter
1/4 cup (2 fl/60 ml) olive oil
8oz (250 g) feta cheese crumbled (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 cup (8fl oz/250 ml) milk, scalded
2 tablespoons potato flour or cornstarch (cornflour) mixed with 2 tablespoons water
6 oz (180 g) canned crabmeat or shrimp (optional)

and pita bread, cucumber slices, broccoli, kalamata olives, red peppers for dipping

In a small, heavy saucepan, melt butter with the oil over medium heat. Add cheese, stirring until melted. It will be creamy, but no smooth.  Stir in milk, cooking until mixture is mostly smooth. Stir in the flour or cornstarch mixture.  Stir in optional crabmeat or shrimp and transfer to a warmed fondue pot. Let cool for 5-10 minutes until warm. Enjoy!\

From my experience, you need to add an extra one or two teaspoons of the cornstarch because it never is thick enough for me. But don't over do it, remember that the cheese will harden up as it cools off too.  Its a really great recipe so I hope you all enjoy it!

No comments: